*We will no longer be accepting applications for the program.
(For details, please read the announcement)
There is no prescribed set of professions for an ALFP fellow; the professions of past fellows include, but are not limited to, academia, journalism, business, national and local politics, education, administration, the arts, publications, and NGO and non-profit activities. Regardless of his/her profession, a fellow is expected to have access to a wide audience in his/her country or region through publications, teaching, media, performance, etc. to disseminate his/her thoughts and findings.
Selection criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Citizens of Northeast, Southeast and South Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59, inclusive.
(The countries and regions that are applicable include Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.)
2. Having a solid background in their own professions and have access to a wide audience in their country or region through publications, teaching, media, performance, etc. to disseminate their thoughts and findings.
3. Having a certain degree of achievement and having demonstrated outstanding leadership ability or potential.
4. Going beyond one’s discipline or field of specialty and having an intellectual impact in order to solve the problems facing global society today, from the broader perspective of the common public good and humanitarian causes.
5. Being able to think tolerantly and alternatively about different way of thinking and cultural values, and being willing to develop new social norms and value-orientations.
6. Being ready and willing to work, share concerns, and embrace differences with other fellows, who have diverse specialties and cultural backgrounds, in order to contribute to the building of an equitable civil society in the region while reaching out to the general public.
7. Having a good command of English that will enable one to communicate and engage in deep/substantial discussions in English.
We recommend applications especially from
ALFP is NOT intended for: